I think there is definitely a need to be able to avoid source-maps as well.
In the project I am currently working on, it is currently loading around
40Mb or javascript in debug mode.
If this was all in one single file I think it would be fine, but because it
is loading 4300 individual files, it can take longer than 90 seconds to
load even when using Charles with map-local (this is fast because it is
intercepts the http request and instead serves local files directly instead
of via remote loading), but it still has the browser restrictions on
concurrent loads. In this case, the value of source maps is lower than the
need to be able to iterate faster over compile-reload-test-debug workflow,
which is slowed down in each case if the browser also has to load
sourcemaps for the js files. If source maps are being loaded it really
ramps up the time taken to compile-reload-test-debug in this case. perhaps
if the sourcemaps are being loaded from a different domain, it would be ok,
because the concurrency restrictions are domain-based iirc. If that
suggestion is viable (I don't know what restrictions there are on
source-map locations), then it could be interesting for sure. I think that
Chrome reserves 6 for the current domain and up to 4 for alternate domains
in terms of concurrency, but I might be wrong, I did not spend time looking
for an authoritative source.

More generally, there are some advantages with everything being split into
individual js files in the debug build, but there are also disadvantages
when there are large volumes of them. It would be solved I think if there
was an option to generate a single monolithic file in debug mode for those
that prefer this. I hope that might be an option at some point, but I don't
know how that could work with sourcemapping (if there is a way, I expect it
might be tricky).

Unfortunately I don't have time right now to explore these things, but I
mainly just wanted to point out that that source-maps by default (even if
the attempt to load is a 'try and fail/ignore') is not what people will
always want, particularly if they are affecting the concurrent request
limits that the browser has with large debug file file-sets.