For final use, should the API perhaps be something that accepts Element
/ HTMLElement and a string, to be compatible with a future HTML
Sanitizer API?  (And it would somehow internally keep track of a
Sanitizer object.)

    https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/HTML_Sanitizer_API

For the Closure implementation, it would just set the Element's
innerHTML / innerText to what you have, or perhaps use
sanitizeToDomNode() or something, in case this is an issue (or just to
avoid double-parsing):

    https://blog.deteact.com/google-closure-library-sanitizer-bypass/