Styling, yes. Spans within the label? Not so sure.

We could just sanitize the HTML automatically, but I’m not sure how much
overhead that has.

We could possibly take a middle approach:

Check if the label has a “<“ character. If yes, sanitize. If not, don’t.
Although I wouldn’t be surprised if the goog library already does something
similar...