Thats what we're doing as well - appending partition count to the kafka
topic name. This actually helps keep track of the #partitions for each
topic (since Kafka doesn't have a Metadata store yet).

In case of topic expansion - we actually just resort to creating a new
topic. Although that is an overhead - the thought process is that this will
minimize operational errors. Also, this is necessary to do in case we're
doing some kind of joins.

--
Thanks and regards

Chinmay Soman