Hi Roger,

The slow storage shard situation is indeed a concern.

The slow storage shard will back up your pusher process for all shards if the
incoming Kafka stream partitions don't line up. Alternatively, your pusher
process will keep going with the healthy shards but will then need to
re-consume the whole input stream just to push to the unhealthy shard after it
recovered. LinkedIn already has (at least) one or two such (push) systems and
they definitely work, but they have some operational limitations, as discussed
here.

Now, you can make the pusher process' input topic partitions line up with the
storage partitions, and that would alleviate the slow shard problem, but if you
go through the trouble of partitioning your input stream this way, then you're
not really far off from the pull model anyway. Furthermore, even with lined up
partitioning, the push approach will still have the following caveats compared
to pull:

  1.  An extra hop. The hop is probably not a big deal in terms of latency, but
it does double your bandwidth requirements (and more than double if the storage
system does not support batch operations which are as efficient as Kafka's).
  2.  Smart throttling. You can throttle with a push approach, but it is very
crude. Likely the throttling would be a fixed QPS per topic or something like
that. If you want to take into account the serving latency of the storage
nodes, in order to back off when the storage node is under higher load, then it
seems easier to achieve that accurately if you're co-located with the storage
node, as you would be able to poll its performance metrics quicker and more
often.
  3.  Multi-tenancy. If you want many different topics getting fed into the
storage system, but with different priorities for each, then it may also be
easier to prioritize the various streams against one another in the pull model.
If your push process consumes partitions that line up with the storage, then
technically you can achieve the same thing, but then your push process
deployment and config becomes a bit more complex. The pushers are not just any
stateless auto-balanced consumer processes anymore, they need to be tied 1:1 or
1:M with the storage nodes. At this point, you already went about 80% of the
way towards the pull model, so I would argue it makes things simpler to just go
all the way.

Of course, there's definitely many ways to skin this cat. And some of the
concerns above shouldn't be someone's highest priority if they're just getting
started playing around with Samza. But I think it would be nice to have an
open-source system available which "does all the right things", so that even
newcomers to Samza can have an easy way to ingest data into their serving
system.

My 2 cents.

--

Felix GV