Hi, Robert,

Thanks for digging into this. I am embedding my answers below:

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 7:40 AM, Robert Zuljevic <r.zulje...@levi9.com>
wrote:

>  1.       Is checkpoint topic referred to in the description coordinator
> stream/topic?

In the master branch, checkpoint topic is deprecated (except for migration
purpose). The checkpoints will be sent to coordinator stream. Hence, there
is no need to change the creation of checkpoint topic any more.

>  2.       Changelog topic creation is handled by TaskStorageManager class
> which is required by SamzaContainer. Would it be preferable to:
>
> a.       Create TaskStoreManager instance(s) in JobRunner and pass them
> to SamzaContainer
>
> b.      Create changelog stream in JobRunner/JobCoordinator and skip it
> in TaskStoreManager

I prefer option b in your above proposal, w/ a slight modification:
1. JobCoordinator now has a changelogManager which reads the changelog
partition to task mapping from the coordinator stream
2. JobCoordinator also has access to the job config and will be able to
figure out what are the changelog topics needed in the job
3. JobCoordinator start should have an additional step to create all the
changelog topics needed in the job. If exists, validate the partition
numbers
4. In TaskStoreManager, we should just get the changelog topic metadata and
validate the partitions are correct.

Does that sound reasonable?

-Yi