From: Yi Pan [mailto:nickpa...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2016 11:22 AM
To: dev@samza.apache.org
Subject: Re: Kafka dependency

Hi, Nick,

We do have plan to update the Kafka dependency in Samza. However, Samza only
uses Kafka client library. We have confirmed that any Kafka 0.8.2 clients
should be supported by Kafka 0.9 brokers. Hence, it should not block you if you
are thinking of upgrading Kafka broker versions (e.g.
LinkedIn has been running with this combination for a long time). The main
reason that we are taking a bit careful path on the upgrading of Kafka client
version is that there are Samza users who are still running Kafka
0.8.2 broker version and if we force upgrade the client version to 0.9, it
would likely not be supported by a lower version of Kafka broker.

If you have any specific use case that requires Kafka client version 0.9 and
above, please speak up. We will put into consideration in our upgrade plan and
timeline.

Thanks a lot!

-Yi