Hi, all,

Thanks for all the inputs! Finally I got some time to go through the
discussion thread and digest most of the points made above. Here is my
personal summary:

Consensus on requirements:

   1. ApplicationRunner needs async APIs.
   2. ApplicationRunner can be hidden from user (except maybe in config)
   3. StreamApplication is the direct wrapper for the programming interface
   (i.e. removing StreamGraph from the user API and allow users to call
   input() and output() from the StreamApplication) in main()
   4. There has to be a serialization format of the StreamApplication
   itself, s.t. the tasks can just deserialize and create the user logic
   included in StreamApplication in multiple TaskContext.
   5. JobRunner seems to be a very thin layer on-top-of StreamProcessor or
   YarnJob, and it is always a LocalJob in a LocalApplitionRunner and a
   RemoteJob in a RemoteApplicationRunner. There is a desire to remove it
   6. StreamApplication needs to have some methods to allow user-injected
   global objects for the whole application, such as JmxServer,
   MetricsReporter, etc.

Some additional discussion points:

   1. In StreamApplication#input()/output(), what should be the input /
   output parameter? The StreamSpec? Or the actual implementation I/O object
   to provide messages (i.e. similar to socket reader/file reader object)? In
   the later case, we will need to define an abstract layer of StreamReader
   and StreamWriter in the user-facing API that supports read/write of
   partitioned streams on top of the SystemConsumer/SystemProducer/SystemAdmin
   objects. Also, the number of I/O streams via the StreamReader/StreamWriter
   can not be pre-determined (i.e. depending on input stream partitions and
   the groupers). Hence, I am leaning toward to expose StreamSpec in the API
   and let user builds the StreamSpec via SpecBuilder. The actual I/O objects
   will be instantiated when SystemConsumer/SystemProducer are instantiated,
   with the number of physical partitions in each container.
   2. There is a need to support task-level programs via the same launch
   model as well.

Some ideas to implement the above requirements:

   1. StreamGraph#write() should be used internally to generate and persist
   the serialized format of user logic. Then, StreamGraph#read() should give
   back a deserialized version of user logic. This would implies that the user
   functions defined in APIs are mandated to be serializable.
   2. StreamApplication should include a SpecBuilder provides the
   instantiation of MessageStream/Stores, which is passed to
   StreamApplication#input() / StreamApplication#output()
   3. StreamApplication should also include an internal ApplicationRunner
   instance (config driven, class loaded) to be able to switch between local
   vs remote execution
   4. Implementation of LocalApplicationRunner should directly instantiate
   and manage StreamProcessor instances for each job, removing the
   LocalJobRunnner
   5. Implementation of RemoteApplicationRunner should instantiate a remote
   JobFactory, create the remote job and submitted it for each job, removing
   the current JobRunner interface
   6. We also need a StreamTaskApplication class that allows user to create
   task-level applications, by mandate the constructor with a parameter of
   StreamTaskFactory

One more opinion around the status and the waitForFinish():  I would think
that waitForFinish() is just waiting for the local Runtime to complete, not
to wait for the remote job to be completed.

I will be working on revision of SEP-2 and some example user code example
for now and will share it soon.

Thanks!

-Yi

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 8:08 AM, Chris Pettitt <cpett...@linkedin.com.invalid