PA Galmes wrote:
On 6/4/07, Thomas Benisch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
PA Galmes wrote:
>> > - What about selections with cells removed  (ex : A1:D10
>> intersection C5)
>>
>> There's no special handling of such cases yet.
>
> I don't know which behaviour should be chosed. What do you think would
> be the best?

I think it's logical that the removed cells are not taken into account
for summation, because there must have been a reason why the user
removed those cells from the selection.

The remaining question is how to sum up the rest of the selection.
One possibility is to break the selection into separate cell ranges,
which can be handled similar to a multi-selection.

After some thoughts I think that often, I will want to make some sums
of values that are in the same column, and put the result at the end
of the list. But I will rarely want want to do multiselection in the
same column and put for each range the resul

Here is a tipical example. I have a quotation with sub-totals "hard
coded" (not using the sub-totals functionnality). See below:

              My quotation
entry 1     10
entry 2     10
entry 3     10
sub-total   30
entry 1     12
entry 2     10
entry 3     10
sub-total   32

I would then select each sub-total and put the result at the end. That
seems to me more logical, and more useful than the other solution.

When removing cells from a selection, I would keep the same behaviour.

Is that clear enought? If not, I could send you some more real
examples directly to your mail.

I did understand your example. Nevertheless I think the problem is
that some automatic behaviour cannot cover all uses cases, that's
why a user can always enter a formula manually.

The question is, what behaviour does the majority of users expect.
Unfortunately I don't have an answer to this question.

Thomas