Alan Yaniger wrote:
A number of our users have asked if there's a way we could increase the maximum worksheet size. One said that for this reason alone he's planning to move to Excel 2007, which allows over a million rows. What is involved in implementing this feature in Calc ? I'd like to look into working on this, if it's manageable.

Points 5 and 6 under "Strategy" at http://sc.openoffice.org/row-limit.html are still open, and there are still some loops over all rows, which would have to be changed. Then, there's the Excel export and minor stuff like display of row headers.

Ignoring most of that, it has been done before, see http://blogs.nuxeo.com/sections/blogs/laurent_godard/2006_02_08_the-spreadsheet-next.

Niklas