Hi Lvyue,

On Tuesday, 2007-12-11 10:35:18 +0800, Lvyue wrote:

> I want to ask if there is no numeric value, but string value in a cell, range
> or matrix, should MIN/MAX return 0?

Yes. Only if there are no other numeric values that would result in
a different min/max, of course. Short definition: If there is no numeric
value return 0, else return min/max of numeric values.

> If that, then what is the difference between MIN/MAX and MINA/MAXA?

MIN/MAX would return 0 only if no other numeric values are encountered.
For MINA/MAXA, a string value does always count as zero, so if we have

A1: <empty>
A2: "string"
A3: 3

=MIN(A1:A3)  => 3
=MINA(A1:A3) => 0
=MIN(A1:A2)  => 0   // new behavior, currently results in Err:502
=MINA(A1:A2) => 0
=MIN(A1)     => 0   // new behavior, currently results in Err:502
=MINA(A1)    => 0   // new behavior, currently results in Err:502

Note that MIN(A1:A3) is identical to MIN(A1;A2;A3)

> I think one parm can be considered empty only if there is not any value,
> neither numeric nor string.

As MIN/MAX act only on numeric values and ignore strings, "emptiness" is
already fulfilled if in all arguments no numeric value was encountered.
For MINA/MAXA of course it is the condition of neither numeric nor string.

> As I think it that way, I count every matrix element to determine wether it
> is empty.
> Besides, nEmpty... are used for counting the number of parms, not the number
> of cells.
> If I misunderstand your meaning, please explain it again.

Matching conditions of emptiness against the number of parameters passed
is not needed. The minimum/maximum is determined over all parameters,
not separately, so emptiness is also a "over all" condition.

Hope that helps.

  Eike

--
 OOo/SO Calc core developer. Number formatter stricken i18n transpositionizer.
 SunSign   0x87F8D412 : 2F58 5236 DB02 F335 8304  7D6C 65C9 F9B5 87F8 D412