On 09/12/09 14:34, rashi dhing wrote:
In excel, when you select different ranges in a formula (arguments that
are range objects) , the formula bar highlights the range names as well
as the actual cell ranges present on the sheet in different colors.

We have something similar, but it's for direct references only (no names), and it's only highlighted in the cell, not in the input line (formula bar).

Someone suggested using a text cursor but i believe that it only for
text objects. How can I modify and format the text in the formula bar and
not the cell.

The text cursor API also works for cell content. But that's the content after editing, not what is currently edited. For currently edited text, there's only special-purpose API like XTransferableSupplier, so I think what you describe can't be done without modifying OOo code.

Niklas