The Hive community started the discussion to support JDK8 in apr/2016 for
Hive 2.x versions. There was a mix of decisions to whether use JDK8 100% or
just keep compatibility for JDK8. The final decision was to build and test
with JDK8 on Hive 2.0 but keep JDK7 compatibility for one release. The Hive
community had some active maintenance releases as well, so I think one of
the decisions was to keep backports to maintenance releases easy.
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/83d8235bc9547cc94a0d689580f20db4b946876b6d0369e31ea12b51@1460158490@%3Cdev.hive.apache.org%3E

Later on feb/2017, the community started a vote to start using JDK8 full
features and drop support for JDK7. The vote passed, and we started dropped
JDK7 support on Hive 2.1. However, the community didn't introduce any JDK8
features yet even they were allowed.
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/dcd57844ceac7faf8975a00d5b8b1825ab5544d94734734aedc3840e@%3Cdev.hive.apache.org%3E

Recently in newer Hive 2.x releases and master, the community has started
to use these features. My experience hasn't been bad on backports as not
all developers use these new features (including me). There are other
backports issues regarding new code base for certain features that makes us
hard to backport, but we haven't had any problem with JDK8 at all.