I think the way Alan Gates describes it is that the reason is coexistence
of different databases within HMS for example Kafka may store its metadata
within 'kafka' catalog, etc. The data within each catalog seems to be the
same though - it is still databases, tables and partitions. There is some
discussion and explanation in the JIRA.