I work on a mac also, so I can try this out with those different scons
versions.

And I agree with you: this kind of change in scons is ridiculous. Just...
wow.

Maybe we really should look to another system. I believe several people in
the community have pushed for CMake.

Note: I've done the multiple-build-system maintenance for serf before. It
sucks. ... I believe any solution should work for Windows + unix-ish
systems, or it's a non-starter. I dunno if some of Google's build tools are
multi-platform, but they've pushed out a number of tools over the years.

Right now, we're in a better spot than our multi-system before. But yeah:
maybe we can do better, again. Especially if those scons yahoos keep up
this nonsense.

Cheers,
-g