Etcd in itself is good enough to be used as a config center. I don't see
the need for an extra layer, it reduces performance and adds complexity.

For example, if we use Etcd directly, the watch mechanism is naturally
supported by grpc which uses http2, there's no need for using websocket
which might have problems under some firewall rules.

I checked the CC(CSE) client implementation in java-chassis, it uses vert.x
and http to talk to the server and use websocket for watching when possible.

It have implemented tenant, environment separation and we can achieve this
by using proper key prefixes in Etcd(v3). I don't see a particular feature
impossible to implement using Etcd only.

Besides, it takes a lot of time and effort to opensource the Config-Center.

There is one minor issue for Etcd though. The official Etcd client for java
jetcd is not published to central maven repository yet. They are preparing
an official 0.3.0 release but does not have a timeline for it.

--
Best Regards,
Yang.