Hi All,

Please ignore the previous email, the picture got broken.

# 1. Problem statement and context

[image: image.png]

*Figure 1. The barrier between the two technology stacks*

In the process of application modernization, it is common for users to use
multiple microservice technology stacks (servicecomb-service-center and
istio) at the same time. So, they have a high demand to break the
communication barrier between two heterogeneous tech stacks which is caused
by the different Registration and Discovery mechanisms.

# 2. Our solution

[image: image.png]

*Figure 2. Our solution*

We propose a tool that can synchronize microservices from
servicecomb-service-center to Istio system which makes istio-based services
able to discover servicecomb-service-center-based services, refer to Figure
2.

## 2.1 Design

[image: image.png]

*Figure 3. Servicecomb-service-center structure*

As we can see from this Figure 3, servicecomb-service-center-istio
synchronizes service register information from servicecomb-service-center
side to istio side. It mainly does three steps:

·         It watches servicecomb-service-center updates (microservice
instance status changes event: add, delete, update) via a WebSocket
connection.

·         It converts servicecomb-service-center data model (microservice
and microservice instance) to Istio data model (ServiceEntry and
WorkloadEntry)

·         It pushed the converted data model to the K8S api server through
REST api.

After doing all these steps, Istio automatically captures these converted
ServiceEntry and WorkloadEntry and dispatches them to each Envoy sidecar,
so that each sidecar can discover those servicecomb-service-center services.

Thank you,

Shiqi