> > > Maybe it's something like a "meta-framework".  It's not really a
> > > "framework" as such because JSF is the framework.
> > > But it is some missing parts that integrate fairly
> seamlessly with
> > > the JSF framework.  Missing parts and added value -
> things like Clay
> > > and Dialog are added value.  Things like the core ViewController
> > > provide missing pieces to the core JSF framework.
> >
> > I like the way "meta-framework" sounds, but it implies
> something more
> > like Keel (http://www.keelframework.org). Shale's name provides the
> > underpinnings for the verbage we need -- separate layers that can
> > optionally be applied to your application. What's wrong with
> > "services"?
>

> The "one sentence" description I have been using lately that seems to
> resonate:  Shale is a set of loosely coupled application
> framework services built on top of JSF."  If need be, I also
> emphasize that we're talking mostly about the "MVC
> controller" part of JSF, and are agnostic about component
> libraries.  Use whatever visual components you'd like, and
> use Shale's features to make the back end of your application
> easier to compose.

I think the one senetence explanation works quite well. "Loosely coupled" is
key.

> > > Of course as JSR-299 progresses we may find ourselves in
> a different
> > > category.  There has been talk of building a
> > > JSR-299 implementation when the time is right.
> >
> > I don't know if the category really changes. To me, that's just one
> > more layer...
>

> Agreed.  So would a layer implementing the validation
> annotations (303?) if/when it actually happens.

True. I think there are lots of opportunities for continually adding value
to JSF. Some if it will make it into the spec, and some won't.

> Craig

Kito D. Mann ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Author, JavaServer Faces in Action
http://www.virtua.com - JSF/Java EE consulting, training, and mentoring