Hmm ... there are at least the following prerequisites for this to work:

* The shale-view-xxx.jar file contains a tag library that, among other
  things, includes a <listener> declaration that sets up the basics and
  (if the Tiger extensions are also in the webapp) does the Tiger-specific
  stuff.  Do you have this JAR in your webapp?  If not, and you try adding
  it, does that make things work?  (If this does the trick, then the problem
  is a result of the recent split-out of the view functionality ... we'll
have to
  come up with an alternative approach that doesn't require shale-view).

Yes I have shale-view in my app so its not that.

* Does your JSF implementation (either MyFaces or the RI) initialize
  correctly without needing an explicit declaration in web.xml?  This
matters,
  because both implementations presume that the servlet container will do
  the spec-compliant thing of recognizing listeners declared in tag
libraries.
  IIRC, this was a problem for older versions of Jetty, but I thought it had
been
  addressed in later versions.

This might be the issue.  I'm not sure if a listener inside of a tag
library works in Jetty.  I'm guessing this is the problem.  What if I
explicitly declare the listener in web.xml?  Would that work in this
case?  By the way, I'm using the latest JSF 1.2 RI b/c I want a few of
the new 1.2 features.

Craig

Sean