I'm trying figure out how to get the shindig server to pull up my (to- be) persistent user preferences, mainly to use the __UP...__ substitution at this point. I see where all that substitution takes place in java, but I haven't been able to find where the server loads them up (except for those passed in with the render request).

From what I can see, it would be pretty easy to implement the client js preference interface backed by a couple rest endpoints (which would not need to adhere to any specs themselves).... but how would the server be able to leverage that?

Have I missed a server side interface that ties this all in, or are userPreferences intended to be client driven - so I need to get them first, then create the gadget by passing them back in with the render call (doesn't seem right)?

Thanks
Gregg