On 20/03/2011 2:13 PM, Henry Saputra wrote:
HI Ron,

I was just trying to let Apache Shindig dev community know how it is
being used in other sites/ platform.

It actually appears to be a site that could be useful to me and I do appreciate you mentioning it. It is just one of those sites that is too much "inside the beltway" in its description of what it does.
Feel free to contribute to help Shindig community to grow and be more useful.

We have not yet got involved in Shindig yet but I am lurking in the forum for useful information like this and for indications about how stable and functional Shindig actually is. We have developed a Learning Management System based on an open source stack that has a lot of Apache bits and pieces and we are very active in the Jetspeed portal project which is the key to our application. We also have developed a portal that combines a bit of LMS with e-commerce and the Centra Virtual Learning Environment to create a pay-as-you-go webinar site (www.takeawebinar.com) that allows organizations to offer low-cost paid webinars with a low investment in setup.

I am not sure how Shindig will integrate into these products at the moment but I think that there is potential.

As an aside, the TakeAWebinar project is designed to help experts monetize their knowledge by getting paid to offer webinars. It also helps to build the community around a product or an idea by offering live coaching and training at a reasonable price. One of the places where I see it being useful is in permitting open source projects build their communities and support their developers. Getting started and finding coaching is one of the bigger barriers to adoption of open source products since the audience often can not afford to engage a consultant to help them in the initial pilot project and there is no sales staff or technical pre-sales support that one gets from commercial products.

This is one way that we are trying to support the open source movement in general.

Thanks again for the reference.

Ron

- Henry