I think the code is incorrect.  We've actually noticed this in our deployments
too -- I've been meaning to chase it down and fix it for quite a while but just
haven't gotten around to it.

It looks like there's an open JIRA ticket for it too:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SHINDIG-1450

If anyone has time to submit a patch for it I'd be happy to review/commit it --
otherwise I can try to fix it when I find some time.