Rave's common data abstraction is built for data that needs to be accessed from
both Shindig & Rave.  To be clear, these are convenience classes and you could
absolutely use a pure Shindig implementation, so long as you are careful to
manage the properties yourself and put encryption keys where the Rave instance
can find them (for security token).

>Dependency injection was also recommended on the Rave mailing list. I'm no
>expert of DI and have used it up to now only for things like authentication
>or logging. Therefore, I was not considering that option. I will have a look
>into how that might be an option for us. On the Rave mailing list they also
>recommended having two databases, a relational one for portal data like
>which pages exist and which users have permissions on them and the graph
>db
>for social media data.

Rave offers a Spring/Guice bridge so that the components defined as Spring
beans can be bound to Guice injectors.  There is documentation on the Rave
website for how to override beans in the context so that your own
implementations could be used.

As for the database, I wouldn't restrict it completely to Relational for the
portal data.  You *could* use a Neo4j instance, but I don't really see the
value in storing that data in a graph...  I do see the value in storing portal
data in MongoDB as it is pretty much document oriented anyway.   However, Rave
already has a relational DB implementation done in JPA, so it is the shortest
route.  I hope to work some on a MongoDb impl at the Apache@OSCON Social &
Widgets hackathon.

>Regarding the OpenSocial 2.0 missing features in Shindig it seems, that you
>have integrated patches from version 3.0 in current Shindig releases.
>I saw an open issue that already had a patch, but was scheduled for Shindig
>3.0. The roadmap also stated that OpenSocial 2.0 support is scheduled for
>Shindig 3.0. It seems that changed in the last couple of weeks. I was
>specifically missing support for events
>http://activitystrea.ms/specs/json/schema/activity-schema.html#event
>But maybe I'm not up to date anymore. Sorry for that.

I think having 3.0 code is OK so long as it is  not a breaking change for 2.5
compliance.  Other thoughts?