> On 23 Dec 2015, at 19:26, Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> What changed that broke the Maven only release? Last time I made a release
> (0.80?), I remember it worked fine.

ASF lockdown on version numbering was pretty traumatic. then there's the fact
that people.apache.org is going away and our RCs have to go to

> Not trying to be argumentative -- just curious. I'd like to stay a
> "one-build-tool" project :)

before we were a one-inadequate-build-tool and a list of manual actions and
things to remember

now we are maven for the builds, but choreographed with Ant,

https://github.com/apache/incubator-slider/blob/branches/branch-0.9/bin/release.xml

which can do things like

copy and commit the RC files to the svn dist repository

https://github.com/apache/incubator-slider/blob/branches/branch-0.9/bin/release.xml#L408

verify they and the nexus artifacts are available for D/L, along with the
checksums

https://github.com/apache/incubator-slider/blob/branches/branch-0.9/bin/release.xml#L455

autogenerate the release vote email text:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-slider/blob/branches/branch-0.9/bin/release.xml#L495

it runs rat before the build, refuses to release if there is anything to commit
in the repository, or if the commit that you have locally isn't pushed up to
the apache git server (how can you vote for it?)

so: way better than before, the human intervention should be down to < a
limited number of actions, and I will probably make most of the build process
something jenkins will run everynight to ensure that the code is always ready
to release