On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 1:02 AM, Ian Boston <i...@tfd.co.uk> wrote:
> On 17 Sep 2009, at 07:58, Alexander Klimetschek wrote:
>> ...Firefox and IE are not that strict and will apply cached
>> credentials for the same realm on the entire domain (eg. my.app.com/),...

>> ...Safari and Chrome (ie. Webkit-based ones, although HTTP and Credential
>> handling is not part of the core Webkit code) are more strict and will
>> definitely apply them for a given resource and its "tree" below....

> ...In some browsers Ajax calls dont behave in the same way as the main
> browser.
> I think some of my co-workers have seen this with IE8, so its probably
> safest to ensure that login happens at /...

So does that mean that forcing authentication to happen on / using the
"ugly" built-in browser credentials dialog works on all current
browsers? For user-initiated as well as XHR requests?

If yes, I'd suggest documenting this as a simple way of managing
authentication for Sling, without requiring any extensions.

-Bertrand