Sent from my iPhone

On 10 Oct 2009, at 17:14, Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org> wrote:

Felix Meschberger wrote:
Hi all,

There is currently a discussion going on on the Felix Users list about
providing a default web application launcher [1] proposed by Justin
Edelson. As a base model for this discussion he took the Sling web app launcher with some reductions and some missing enhancements (namely war
support and SNAPSHOT bundle bootstrap installation support).

Over the course of the discussion Justin agreed to provide patches to
Sling launchpad to support his feature wishes (I think they are very
worth-while additions):

  * Migrate the current use of PAX Web and Equinox Servlet bridge
    to using the new Felix HTTP Service implementation
         -- this will bring generic servlet filter support outside
            of Sling
         -- in addition Servlet API listener support might also be
            added

* Add war support -- something which is really usefull for supporting
    legacy application transitionally.

  * Add support for upgrading bundle in SNAPSHOT versions (something
    Bertrand Delacretaz recently added to JCR Install, too).

My question to discuss right now is: What is the general opinion of the
Sling community to eventually hand the launchpad/base module as a
generic loader for standalone and web application environments over to
the Apache Felix project ?

I think it makes totally sense to move the launcher - it's cool stuff which
can be used for any OSGi based product - so it's not tied to Sling and
Felix seems to be a better place. And we reduce the code we have to
maintain :)

The only problem with moving will be the loss of ability to patch. Is the launchpad base stable? How many patches have we had to apply in the last 3 months for example? If there have been none, or there is a willing and tame member of felix ( I think there is) then I am +1

Ian

So +1 for moving