I'm trying to write an AuthenticationHandler for CAS, I've looked at the
OpenID handler to get an idea of how this should work.  It looks like
authenticate() gets called for every request and if it can't authenticate
the user then requestAuthentication() gets called to prompt a login.  I
can't figure out though how to trigger the call to
requestAuthentication(), if authenticate() returns null I just get
dropped on the page I was trying to navigate to and returning
uthenticationInfo.DOING_AUTH gives me a 401 error.  Am I misunderstanding
the way AuthenticationHandlers work?

If it's any help in understanding what I'm doing wrong the basic logic of
my handler is as follows.  authenticate() checks the session to see if
the user is already logged in, if not it tries to do a CAS gatewayed
auth.  If neither of those is successful it returns null.
requestAuthentication() redirects the user to the CAS login page and
returns true.

--
D. Stuart Freeman
Georgia Institute of Technology