Hi all,

Today I stumbled upon a potential problem with the JCR Session Pooling
we have in the JCR Base bundle.

Some time ago, we disabled session pooling by default. Only today I
actually set this default for the Embedded Jackrabbit bundle (see
SLING-1272).

The problems with session pooling are manyfold, some of the issues are:

  * Only works with SimpleCredentials authentication
  * Wrong level of abstraction: such optimizations are the task of the
       repository implementation and not of the user
  * Cleanup of the session for reuse is brittle and timeconsuming
       (due to a JCR search to ensure unlocking transient locks)
  * Little to no gain in performance (in fact performance is even
       lower than using plain Jackrabbit Sessions.

The only real use of the current session pooling, we might discuss, is
the optional limitation of concurrent requests per user. But even this
feature is disabled by default.

For these reasons, I think we should remove the Session Pooling support
from the JCR base bundle.

WDYT ?

Regards
Felix