I've just tried the current trunk and the problem seems to be fixed.

Thanks for the quick fix!

/Pontus

On 2010-08-15 17:16, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
Hi,

I've committed a potential fix for the problem. It would be great, if
you can give the latest trunk a try.

Carsten Ziegeler  wrote
Pontus Amberg  wrote
I just tried to deploy org.apache.sling.launchpad-6-SNAPSHOT.war built
from the current trunk to a small Linux server with SUN Java 1.6 and
Tomcat 6.0.29 and Slings fails to start since I get a
NullPointerException in SlingSettingsServiceImpl
Unfortunately this is a startup order problem - to be compatible, the
new settings bundle searches the old engine bundle and tries to read a
file from the bundle context of the engine bundle (to use the same sling
id which might have been generated by the engine bundle).

Unfortunately the bundle context is only available of the bundle is in
starting, active or stopping state but not in resolved or installed.

Therefore we have to find another solution here.

For now, I'll add a NPE check as a temporary solution

14.08.2010 16:45:02.254 *ERROR* [FelixDispatchQueue]
org.apache.sling.settings FrameworkEvent ERROR
(org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Activator start error in bundle
org.apache.sling.settings [33].) org.
osgi.framework.BundleException: Activator start error in bundle
org.apache.sling.settings [33].
         at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.activateBundle(Felix.java:1864)
         at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.startBundle(Felix.java:1734)
         at
org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.setActiveStartLevel(Felix.java:1143)
         at
org.apache.felix.framework.StartLevelImpl.run(StartLevelImpl.java:264)
         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
         at
org.apache.sling.settings.impl.SlingSettingsServiceImpl.setupSlingId(SlingSettingsServiceImpl.java:105)

         at
org.apache.sling.settings.impl.SlingSettingsServiceImpl.<init>(SlingSettingsServiceImpl.java:69)

         at
org.apache.sling.settings.impl.Activator.start(Activator.java:44)
         at
org.apache.felix.framework.util.SecureAction.startActivator(SecureAction.java:633)

         at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.activateBundle(Felix.java:1817)
         ... 4 more

The strange thing is if I take the same WAR file and run it on my
workstation with the same versions of Java&  Tomcat it works. I'm not
sure but might the cause be that engineBundle.getBundleContext() returns
null and does anyone know of any reason why that might happen?

/Pontus