Sorry for a delay but I finally had some time to work on this. So, what is the
process for uploading a release to dist.apache.org <http://dist.apache.org/>?
According to release policy only PMC members can upload a release.

Also, I have committed my work related to packaging and release process for
slingpackager to this branch for now
https://github.com/apache/sling-slingpackager/tree/travisBuild
if anyone has time and is interested in review and feedback that’s always
welcome

Thank You.
Happy New Year!

Henry