Hi,

Changing subject line as this has changed to a more general discussion
IMO - https://github.com/apache/sling-org-apache-sling-auth-saml2/pull/1
has more specific details.

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 10:16 PM Cris Rockwell <cmroc...@umich.edu> wrote:
> ...In theory, all dependencies should be validated. It’s not a crazy idea.
> Apache Sling
> projects generally don't validate dependency signatures, so where to
> begin?....

I agree that in general blindly downloading stuff from the Internet is
not a good idea.

Validating with pgpverify-maven-plugin (assuming we also validate the
plugin itself) can be a good idea but if we do it I think we should
generalize it to all modules or at least have a plan to generalize it.

People building their own artifacts (which might not be common in the
Java world) might get in trouble, so you'd need a way to specify
alternate signatures or checksums at build time. Same for temporarily
introducing unsigned snapshots to test something, we'd need to
document how to do those things.

If you want to pursue this I suggest creating an example in our
whiteboard initially, so that we can discuss whether we want to
generalize that based on a concrete example, without introducing it in
just a few modules without a plan.

Thanks for researching this!

-Bertrand