Hi,

First: This is the last cross posted message from me. Future
communication should and will take place on the Felix list.

Please, come to that list and discuss with us here !

Am Donnerstag, den 03.03.2011, 07:40 +0000 schrieb Charles Moulliard:
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 11:43 PM, Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@adobe.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > As the original developer of the Web Console I am flattered by this
> > activity ;-)
> >
> > Am Mittwoch, den 02.03.2011, 17:37 +0000 schrieb Charles Moulliard:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> As three users of Apache Felix WebConsole project, I contact you to
> >> have your opinion regarding to frameworks (JSon, javascript, ...)
> >> usage made with Apache Felix WebConsole. The project has been made
> >> light to avoid dependencies with external librairies but the way that
> >> it is used today lack of structure, complicate the
> >
> > Why lack of structure ?

Well, this is just an implementation detail of the plugins coming with
the Web Console proper. Nowhere is it prescribed that you have to do it
this way.

I think Guillaume has clearly described the issues around this.

> >> development of screens and decrease development productivity, html
> >> code is mixed in javascript, json variables are set everywhere in the
> >> code and use in several of javascript functions, no template is used
> >> to render html pages, locale is not used by all of us to translate
> >> text, ....
> >
> > That's all not required. The simplest plugin is a Servlet service with
> > two service properties. Nothing fancy, really ;-)
> >

> >> The consequence of that is that some developers are very frustrated
> >> and would like to make some suggestions about Webconsole. Within Karaf
> >> community we already started this discussion and now we would like to
> >> share with you some ideas about the future roadmap of Felix
> >> WebConsole.
> >
> > I'm sorry you are "very frustrated" .. at the same time I do not
> > understand why you don't come to the Felix dev or user list to ask
> > questions ? This is a bit frustrating to me.

The Web Console lives in the Apache Felix project. So please, come to
use and talk to us. Start the discussion here and with us. We will
listen to you.

> >> Here are the different scenario possible :
> >>
> >> (1) Improve the existing usage of the frameworks JSon, OSGI and
> >> javascript by defining/providing a "template" project containing dummy
> >> code + guidelines/best practices to develop properly and so
> >> improve/increase productivity. This could be done with an archetype
> >
> > Sounds like an excellent idea.
> >

> >> (2) Switch the existing architectural model to use frameworks like
> >> Apache Wicket or Vaadin where the content is clearly separated from
> >> the server side code. Apache Wicket and Vaadin librairies are already
> >> osgified so their integration in project like karaf, sling or felix
> >> will be done seamless even if we have the overhead to deploy them. But
> >> this is also the same for bundles like PAX-Web, ...
> >
> > Sounds like not soo go an idea. There is a reason why we don't use any
> > of these frameworks: We wanted (and still want) to minimize
> > dependencies. Adding such a nice GUI framework to the game makes it more
> > complicated (remember the simple Servlet service mentioned above ?) and
> > heavy weight.

I know very well about the functionality provided by those platforms.
But all these platforms come with additional dependencies. And this is
where I start placing question marks.

Also be reminded that Web Console is currently being used in embedded
platforms which don't have place to spare for the developers delight.

> > However, this is not to say, that we should not explore ways on how
> > mechanism like JSP (or generic server side scripting) etc. can be used.
> >

> >> No matter which scenario we will decide to adopt, we could also create
> >> a project to develop all together the OSGI WebConsole used by our
> >> projects and promote it as a new Apache project --> Name suggested
> >> Apache Orion. The scope of this project could be extended to include
> >> additional management, registration of datasources, ....
> >
> > What would be the advantage of developing the Web Console in its own
> > TLP ? Is there something missing when living in the Felix project ?

> of this project is not insignifiant and becomes relevant like also
> that this project becomes a TLP. I do not at all defend a point of
> view to move this Felix sub-project but open the debate

Will bring this to a different thread.

Regards
Felix