I think there is no one solution fits all here. As always it depends.

In general we should try to be spec compliant - unless there is a good reason not to. There could be different reasons.

In this particular case, imho there is a good reason to not be compliant. We have a huge user base and the non spec compliant behaviour is in there for many many years. There is a chance that some of our users rely on this behaviour. If we change it, we break our users. Which actually happened in this case.

In addition, in this case if users are trying out our non spec compliant method they will immediately see that it is not compliant during development/testing.