Now I totally agree that this must come with nearly zero changes required for our users. That's why I only suggested solutions where this should be true.

Sling is based on servlet 2 - we are not even nicely fitting into the servlet 3 world. The java world is moving to servlet 5 and 6. Major open source frameworks have already switched to the jakarta namespace. So if we don't move, we make it very hard to integrate with the latest and greatest from other places. Similar, servlet engines supporting javax.servlet are either already or plan to go into maintenance.

And the other argument is perception. The more we use from the past, the less we fit into the latest and greatest and the more outdated we are perceived.