I think there is no perfect solution. We are operating this way for many years :) which of course doesn't mean there is no room for improvement.

I think the scenario you describe happened at least once. but it was detected when the version was released, the jira issue corrected and all was good. This requires a little care of the release manager. but it really is more a theoretical issue. We have all the notifications flying around and usually if you are working on something you know that there is a vote for it going on.

The Oak way shows a version as released although it is not, and might never be - which at least in theory can create confusion to users.

So I prefer potentially confused release managers over potentially confused users :)