Hi Carsten,

On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 9:20 PM, Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org> wrote:
> 2011/11/5 Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 12:11 AM, Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>> Yes, but the tooling point only applies partially - there is no
>>> tooling for the various plugin configurations including the new
>>> configuration for this plugin. So there is no tooling support for that
>>> regardless which way we go.
>>
>> At least Eclipse with m2e will automatically introspect plugins to
>> find out what configuration options they support. With that
>> information I have automatic validation, code completion and
>> context-sensitive documentation for plugin configuration. That's
>> obviously not a killer feature, but still nice to have. As a user of
>> the plugin I'd rather live with a bit more verbose and less coherent
>> POM file than lose this and other features like inheritance or
>> profiles.
>
> Sure, so far I haven't seen a use case for inheritance and profiles
> when it comes to bundle lists - which of course doesn't mean that they
> don't exist.
>
> But what I've seen is typos and all kind of maintenance problems if
> the information has to be maintained at more than one place. Before
> the bundle list we used an internal way which is pretty similar to
> this new one and all types of user errors occured. :)

While I appreciate your concern about this, I don't think it is
actually true of the latest SLING-2194/SLING-2265 changes. If you use
both mechanisms, then *all* of your dependencies are placed into the
bundle list at some default level and you only need to call out the
artifactIds for the cases where you want a non-default bundle level.
This means less maintenance and errors along the way, at least I hope
that's the case.

I do agree with you that the ultimate solution is to have
dependency-level metadata in the pom. But I'd rather see that problem
solved in Maven itself (or see us move away from Maven) instead of
having some potentially non-forward compatible solution.

Justin