Hi Carsten

Interesting idea. Having access control handled by services allows
implementing arbitrary access control logic, which I would welcome. In
my experience, it's often difficult to express access control logic in
a declarative manner.

I think we could further simplify the approach you describe. Leave the
ResourceProvider interface as it is and don't introduce an
ACLAwareResourceProvider interface. Instead have the JCR
ResourceProvider also implement ResourceAccessController. This
simplifies the design, while allowing to expose the same logic.
Additionally, it adds the possibility to layer additional access
control on top of Jackrabbit ACLs, thus allowing to combine the best
of both worlds (access control logic implemented in java +
Jackrabbit's declarative ACLs).

Thoughts?

Regards
Julian