Hi

In SLING-2726 [1] it is requested that registered servlets are made accessible
as if they would have been registered with a prefix instead of an fixed path.

The reasoning for declining the request is that Sling addresses resources, that
servlets are not to be considered resources, that servlets are rendering, and
that everything not going through the repository does not benefit from
automatic access control.

Looking at what we have: A servlet is addressable by its exact path or if the
servlet path is the prefix to the URL and that prefix path has an extension.
For example a Servlet registered at /bin/sample is accessible with both of the
following URLs:

  * http://host/bin/sample
  * http://host/bin/sample.ext/some/more/info

As part of another request (SLING-2670 [2]) we will be adding support to access
the request suffix as if it would address another resource to allow for admin
requests to servlets which handle secondary resources.

In this context, allowing for servlet registrations to be prefixes instead of
fixed paths is nothing new. The only change is that the mandatory extension,
which makes the URL ugly (see second example above), is not required any longer.

Regards
Felix

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-2726
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-2670