I just checked the RFC for statuscodes and 403 seems appropriate while 409
seems to be wrong.
Although you could argue the user can resolve the conflict by changing the
URI the new URI has a new target (since the URI does not know about
concepts like selectors or suffixes) and therefore is a different request
(the versioning example indicates that the intention is a conflict created
by the payload). IMHO 403 would be good and could return an info what
exactly was wrong with the request (like "Found suffix [extension |
selectors] for POST request").

Regards,
Dominik