Hi,

See http://git.io/SlingDevOps-v4-demo for a demo of the work done by
my intern Artyom Stetsenkos's on zero-downtime upgrades of clustered
Sling instances.

This is still an early prototype where you have to start and stop the
Sling instances manually, but it already demonstrates upgrading a
cluster of Sling instances atomically, by just pushing an updated
Crankstart definition file [1] to a Git repository. We hope to be able
to demonstrate the full automated scenario soon, where you just push
to Git to get your cluster upgraded.

Note that this is fully experimental so far. I think the systems
approach of zero-downtime upgrades, where the individual instances are
immutable and throwaway, is worth a closer look at least for
production instances where you want strict configuration control,
ideally based on version control systems.

Enjoy, and feedback is welcome!

-Bertrand

[1]
https://github.com/ArtyomStetsenko/sling-devops-experiments/blob/master/crankstart/sling-minion.crank.txt