Hi Oliver

Am 01.10.2014 um 16:00 schrieb Oliver Lietz <apa...@oliverlietz.de>:

> Please discuss on list and add your findings to the wiki:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SLING/Move+from+Subversion+to+Git

First and foremost: Thanks for structuring a discussion which pops up every now
and then here.

Second: I really like git. It has very nice features, offline-full repository
is not the least of which. Simple branching is really a plus.

But then: Git is targeted at single monolithic codebases. It can handle them
perfectly with all the Git goodies. I have yet to see easy to use support for
modular codebases.

Why is this important ? It is important because Sling is a modular code base
and a single Sling deployment will contain various versions of the Sling
modules. Sling modules evolve independently. For each module version we create
a tag. If in git the tag applies globally. But a single Git repository has a
single HEAD revision. So you are only able to checkout one tag per repository.
Testing multiple bundle versions at different stages becomes hairy (there are
solutions, but not simple/easy ones).

So for the time being, I am rather on the cautious side with respect to moving
Sling to Git.

Regards
Felix