hi Robert,

You're right that this deserves to be clarified.

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 1:06 PM, Robert Munteanu <romb...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...- there are both technical and community requirements for moving stuff
> from /contrib to / , see Bertrand's comment at [1]..

Yes, IMO the main thing is that whatever's not under contrib is
supposed to be maintained, reacting to patch submissions, making
regular releases etc.

OTOH the /contrib modules are maintained on a ad hoc basis, but it's
fine to let them rot for a while if nobody's interested at the moment.

So my criteria for moving something out of contrib is to have several
committers willing to support it (so that collectively we provide good
support) and good test coverage as an objective measurement of the
code's quality.

> - we seem to favour not building links from / to /contrib [2]

Correct, if a non-contrib module depends on  a contrib one, the result
is not guaranteed to be maintained so it should go to contrib ;-)

-Bertrand