On Thu, 2015-10-01 at 23:18 +0200, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 9:36 PM, Robert Munteanu <romb...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > ...http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/sling/trunk/launchpad/docker/ ..
> > .
>
> FWIW the Dockerfile from my docker-sling-cluster prototype from last
> year also installs Maven and builds Sling locally, such a technique
> allows for running the Sling trunk by just specifying which svn
> version or tag you want. It also starts Sling at image build time, to
> make startup of the final image faster.
>
> It's at [1] and can be simplified today, by using a java:8 base image
> as yours does. We might need different flavors of those images, I'm
> not saying you should change yours.

Ah, interesting approach. What is not clear to me is how this would
work for distribution. If we build the docker image with the
Sling home already populated then we 'decide' the runmode, context
path, etc in advance. It starts up faster, indeed, but it's less
flexible.

It might be worth creating different flavour though ( oak-tar, oak
-mongo, etc ).