Hi,
I think you should keep it simple and not add this functionality into the
Metrics API involved in instrumentation.

If you need control over metadata associated with metrics or the behaviour
of an implementation of a metrics that should (imo) be done in a separate
API, optionally implemented by the metrics provider.

That API would allow a consumer to set properties of metrics by name if
required, and it could be versioned more frequently as new use cases
emerged without destabilizing all instrumentation.

Talking of use cases. I have not seen a situation where it has been proven
to be helpful to have a customised histogram or reservoir. Although there
are lots of arguments from a developer point of view for doing so, it
damages consistency and requires that the special case is communicated to
deployers who then need to find some way of accommodating that special case
in the monitoring tools where consistency is vital to perform statistical
analysis and correlations.

Again, descriptions may help but are rarely output in reporting mechanisms
and so the documentation use case is better covered by documentation of
each metric. Sometimes this can be achieved by using a readable metric ID.
"request" gives no context, but
"org.apache.sling.engine.impl.SlingHttpContext.handleSecurity_m" is quiet
an effective pointer.

Best  Regards
Ian