Hi Robert,

sorry to only get back to your comment [1] now - so I tried a couple of versions back and forth and I believe it would be best to do the following:

* Create a branch "maintenance" with the last version before deprecation (but as it is a branch hotfix releases could be cut from it if necessary) * Leave the repo empty with a sole README.md file and add a line "For reference or potential bugfix releases use branch maintenance"

See fork [2] in my user account to illustrate how this approach looks like.

The advantage is that

* the README file with the obsolete text is not overseen (with the long list of folders/files from src/main, CONTRIBUTING.md, to pom.xml the notice in the README would get easily overlooked) * if necessary it's still easy to look at the code (one click) or even release from it (maven-release-plugin does not worry too much about branch names)

WDYT?

-Georg

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-8418?focusedCommentId=16846509&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-16846509
[2] https://github.com/ghenzler/sling-org-apache-sling-starter-startup