I've also been working on a docker image to validate and build releases:

https://github.com/apache/sling-whiteboard/tree/master/release-validator

It's relatively easy to use. You'll need to build it, then checking a
release is as easy as:

docker run sling-check-release [build-num]

A couple things I have noticed / want to change are:

 - Support mounting a local folder to save the downloaded artifacts
- It doesn't support the situation where one release depends on another
independent release. It will, however, support dependent releases in the
same repository. I'm not sure there is a clean way around this.