Hi all,

I am trying to bootstrap Karaf with Sling. I fail to do so, for quite some
time now.

I've started with the "org-apache-sling-app-cms", that works, but this is (
as far as I can tell ) on Felix ( "only" ). Later I've moved to
"org-apache-sling-karaf-distribution". I failed to do it with HTTP 404.

It compiles. It starts up. But there is a HTTP 404, when I visit website. I
follow this manual:

https://sling.apache.org/documentation/karaf.html

( I've compiled & installed all the features described )

Project "org-apache-sling-karaf-distribution" has a config dependency on a
project "org-apache-sling-karaf-configs", config file was renamed
from
org.apache.sling.serviceusermapping.impl.ServiceUserMapperImpl.amended-scripting_sightly
file
org.apache.sling.serviceusermapping.impl.ServiceUserMapperImpl.amended-scripting_htl.config.
As far as I know ( from Jira ) sightly was renamed to htl ( I think I saw
one Jira issue about it ).

this is in file "org-apache-sling-karaf-distribution/pom.xml:377". I
renamed the config file and recompiled.

Is there any guide or working example how to get Sling working on Karaf (
with RDB DocumentStore )? Please do not tell me it is a one-line-change ...
:D

System console is loading on URL:
http://localhost:8181/system/console/bundles

but this is more-or-less I have to say about it.

Output at the Karaf Shell is ( if it is of any use ):

karaf@root()> feature:repo-add
mvn:org.apache.sling/org.apache.sling.karaf-features/0.1.1-SNAPSHOT/xml/features

Adding feature url
mvn:org.apache.sling/org.apache.sling.karaf-features/0.1.1-SNAPSHOT/xml/features
karaf@root()> feature:install sling-quickstart-oak-tar

karaf@root()> System property [org.owasp.esapi.opsteam] is not set

System property [org.owasp.esapi.devteam] is not set
Attempting to load ESAPI.properties via file I/O.
Attempting to load ESAPI.properties as resource file via file I/O.
Not found in 'org.owasp.esapi.resources' directory or file not readable:
/path/to/sling/org-apache-sling-karaf-distribution/target/assembly/ESAPI.properties
Not found in SystemResource Directory/resourceDirectory:
.esapi/ESAPI.properties
Not found in 'user.home' (/home/user) directory:
/home/user/esapi/ESAPI.properties
java.io.FileNotFoundException
Attempting to load ESAPI.properties via the classpath.
SUCCESSFULLY LOADED ESAPI.properties via the CLASSPATH from '/ (root)'
using class loader for DefaultSecurityConfiguration class!
SecurityConfiguration for Validator.ConfigurationFile.MultiValued not found
in ESAPI.properties. Using default: false
Attempting to load validation.properties via file I/O.
Attempting to load validation.properties as resource file via file I/O.
Not found in 'org.owasp.esapi.resources' directory or file not readable:
/path/to/sling/org-apache-sling-karaf-distribution/target/assembly/validation.properties
Not found in SystemResource Directory/resourceDirectory:
.esapi/validation.properties
Not found in 'user.home' (/home/user) directory:
/home/user/esapi/validation.properties
Attempting to load validation.properties via the classpath.
SUCCESSFULLY LOADED validation.properties via the CLASSPATH from '/ (root)'
using class loader for DefaultSecurityConfiguration class!

karaf@root()> feature:install sling-starter-content

karaf@root()> System property [org.owasp.esapi.opsteam] is not set

System property [org.owasp.esapi.devteam] is not set
Attempting to load ESAPI.properties via file I/O.
Attempting to load ESAPI.properties as resource file via file I/O.
Not found in 'org.owasp.esapi.resources' directory or file not readable:
/path/to/sling/org-apache-sling-karaf-distribution/target/assembly/ESAPI.properties
Not found in SystemResource Directory/resourceDirectory:
.esapi/ESAPI.properties
Not found in 'user.home' (/home/user) directory:
/home/user/esapi/ESAPI.properties
java.io.FileNotFoundException
Attempting to load ESAPI.properties via the classpath.
SUCCESSFULLY LOADED ESAPI.properties via the CLASSPATH from '/ (root)'
using class loader for DefaultSecurityConfiguration class!
SecurityConfiguration for Validator.ConfigurationFile.MultiValued not found
in ESAPI.properties. Using default: false
Attempting to load validation.properties via file I/O.
Attempting to load validation.properties as resource file via file I/O.
Not found in 'org.owasp.esapi.resources' directory or file not readable:
/path/to/sling/org-apache-sling-karaf-distribution/target/assembly/validation.properties
Not found in SystemResource Directory/resourceDirectory:
.esapi/validation.properties
Not found in 'user.home' (/home/user) directory:
/home/user/esapi/validation.properties
Attempting to load validation.properties via the classpath.
SUCCESSFULLY LOADED validation.properties via the CLASSPATH from '/ (root)'
using class loader for DefaultSecurityConfiguration class!

>> opened Chrome at http://localhost:8181/

And now I am blown. Just for fun, I said: Ok, do not advertise Chrome,
write browser -- just for fun, try URL with Firefox. And I did. And it
worked. I am able to login, edit content using built-in editor. OK. I am
not really sure what is going on now. Why is it working with Firefox but
fails on Chrome with HTTP 404?

Chrome says this ( requested URL /%E2%81%A0 looks funny --- why is this
like this ? ) :

Resource at '/⁠' not found: No resource found (404)
The requested URL /%E2%81%A0 resulted in an error in
org.apache.sling.servlets.resolver.internal.defaults.DefaultErrorHandlerServlet.

Request Progress:
      0 TIMER_START{Request Processing}
     13 COMMENT timer_end format is {<elapsed microseconds>,<timer name>}
<optional message>
     32 LOG Method=GET, PathInfo=null
     42 TIMER_START{handleSecurity}
   6921 TIMER_END{6872,handleSecurity} authenticator
org.apache.sling.auth.core.impl.SlingAuthenticator@9cc7f101 returns true
  11358 TIMER_START{ResourceResolution}
  12240 TIMER_END{878,ResourceResolution} URI=/%E2%81%A0 resolves to
Resource=NonExistingResource, path=/⁠
  12255 LOG Resource Path Info: SlingRequestPathInfo: path='/⁠',
selectorString='null', extension='null', suffix='null'
  12257 TIMER_START{ServletResolution}
  12263 TIMER_START{resolveServlet(/⁠)}
  12300 TIMER_END{34,resolveServlet(/⁠)} Using servlet
org.apache.sling.servlets.get.DefaultGetServlet
  12307 TIMER_END{49,ServletResolution} URI=/%E2%81%A0 handled by
Servlet=org.apache.sling.servlets.get.DefaultGetServlet
  12318 LOG Applying Requestfilters
  12336 LOG Calling filter: org.apache.sling.i18n.impl.I18NFilter
  12355 LOG Calling filter:
org.apache.sling.engine.impl.debug.RequestProgressTrackerLogFilter
  12364 LOG Applying Componentfilters
  12388 TIMER_START{org.apache.sling.servlets.get.DefaultGetServlet#0}
  12428 TIMER_END{38,org.apache.sling.servlets.get.DefaultGetServlet#0}
  12570 LOG Filter timing:
filter=org.apache.sling.engine.impl.debug.RequestProgressTrackerLogFilter,
inner=0, total=0, outer=0
  13885 LOG Applying Error filters
  13914 LOG Calling filter: org.apache.sling.i18n.impl.I18NFilter
  13930 TIMER_START{handleError:status=404}
  14611 TIMER_END{678,handleError:status=404} Using handler
org.apache.sling.servlets.resolver.internal.defaults.DefaultErrorHandlerServlet
  15261 TIMER_END{15258,Request Processing} Dumping
SlingRequestProgressTracker Entries

I am blown away right now.

If anyone reads this far ... so it seems
"org-apache-sling-karaf-distribution" works as advertised. If this was so
easy, next issue, how do I swap TAR/MongoDB NodeStore/BlobStore with RDB
DocumentStore ( PostgreSQL ).

Journey continues ...

Kind Regards,
Miroslav