We need a way for a resource provider to provide this object based on a resource. And adaptTo is exactly the mechanism for this. As this adaption is implemented by a provider, there is no startup ordering problem etc as some experience with more custom adaptions. So in this case, on the same resource a call to adaptTo will most likely always give the same result, either null or the object.
Sounds perfectly valid to me.

Carsten