It would be a significant effort, basically rewriting everything including all modules, extensions and tooling.

Not sure if that is really worth the effort.

Repoinit is a little bit of a pain, I agree. But I don't think this minor use case warrants such a dramatic change.

For comments, you can use JSmin style comments (like mentioned on jsonnet), so I don't consider this an issue.