Thanks Bertrand, that makes sense.

So, to recap it's fine to use the deprecated API.

I would recommend getting rid of the deprecation in all honesty as  it
might be sending the wrong message to developers, especially since there is
no effective replacement.

I might take it upon myself to code up said public replacement (my first
Sling contribution!) which avoids using the jcr apis.

Regards,

Carlos